Conan Exiles is an adult game with mature content. The story contains slavery, violence, misogyny, rape, theft, torture, curses, and a great potential for misery. All of these themes can be incorporated into Roleplay (IN CHARACTER ONLY), and fit with the flavor or the genre and be supported by Canon. That said, there is always room for those that refuse to accept the norm, and strive for something better, be it morally, or simply to live a happier existence in the Exiled Lands. We will support all of this, provided the following rules are adhered to.
And please do not take offense if some of these rules seem to be worded in a fashion that some might find beneath them. The wording is meant to take serious topics and hopefully bring a little levity to the boring parts. If you do not understand something, please ask for clarity. They key to everyone having fun is positive communication and mutual understanding!
1) Behave like a desirable grown-up! We are all adults here. While rp of an adult nature is accepted, please behave OOC like an upstanding adult. What does this mean, you ask? Respect others, communicate with your fellow players before engaging in anything that may be construed as uncomfortable for some, take criticism constructively, and if you feel you have been intentionally insulted, try to talk it out, BUT please ask an officer or Admin for mediation before things get ugly.
2) Do not unduly coerce or try to force someone to participate in game play or role play that they are not comfortable with. No means no, even in Conan. Granted, these themes may be played out IN CHARACTER, but you must have Out of Character consent before kidnapping, torturing, maiming, or humiliating another player’s character.
3) No god-modding or meta gaming! There is plenty of room in Conan to achieve great power and influence, especially among your fellow players. Let’s do it in Character, the old fashioned way, though! If your character had great power pre-exile and is charismatic enough or coersive enough to exact such power in the Exiled Lands? Great, show us. Understand, though, that if you claim you are a god or anything equally grandiose, your fellows may think you pretentious or mad (crazy). Also, do not use information you learn about a character OOC for play IC. Find a way to learn it in character!
4) Use discretion. Adult game, again, and again there are going to be adult things going on. There are rooms available at the Sanctuary for naughty play. You can also build your own homes or dungeons for such things. Take ERP to whispers, or clan, or local if appropriate. Not everyone wants to hear your hot and lusty ways, should you choose to engage in such activities. We are all adults here, but that does not mean that there are not children in some of our households. A little bit of consideration can go a long way towards letting everyone play as they like!!
5) Don’t be a <insert favorite term for jerk here>!! Follow the rules, be considerate of other players, don’t troll one another, communicate with your fellow players and listen when they have something to say. If we all can do this, we will have the most amazing server ever!!
And on a final note (I promise, for now, anyway), I have been asked to make an appeal. Please consider how your overall rp storyline is going to impact others. Here is an example:
In a setting (Not Conan, obviously) where there were in-lore vampires, created from evil meant to do evil, a person chose to play the “goodly suffering vampire.” There was a canon-based cure for vampirism, but the player refused to have the character cured. Instead, that vampire chose to seek out friendships with several characters who were intimately involved with a religious order that by its goodliness and love of life, should have by all rights cured or killed vampires on sight. This player with the vampire was made aware OOC that her constant seeking out of the players involved with the righteous order was causing considerable strain and strife IC for everyone involved in the righteous order.
This RP did not impact simply the one or two players she pursued, but everyone in an established and growing guild who interacted or befriended those players. Ultimately, the two players being pursued refused to have their characters make decisions that would preserve their affiliations with the righteous order, mostly because OOC they did not want to hurt their friend playing the vampire’s feelings. IC, this caused two romantic relationships to end poorly, the loss of two or more active characters in the order. All of this turned into OOC drama that ultimately destroyed the guild and caused at least 7 people (if not more) to stop playing that game in the following weeks. It destroyed friendships OOC.
Roleplay should never affect OOC relationships! That can be avoided by consideration and communication. In the above example the player with the vampire chose to play a controversial role, but refused to own the IC consequences. She complained about her character being “picked on” and appealed to the two players she pursued to stick up for her. No one had a problem with her OOC. The treatment that she had issue with was all in character, within the believable and expected practices of lore and canon. Those three players all made poor choices in that they could not separate the IC/OOC situation and stay in character. So again, if you want to play something controversial or antagonistic? Go for it! Conan is a GrimDark setting. But remember to think about your fellow players, and do your very best to avoid the pitfalls highlighted in the example above.
Thank you for reading everything. Please respond to the poll below, and leave a comment letting me know you read the rules. Thank you!!